Monday, June 20, 2011

So Just What Does It Mean To Be Natural? Everyone's Got An Opinion.

Hey Curly Nation!

It's NaturalNikkiDST, and today, I would like to discuss the concept of "being natural". Just what does it mean to be natural anyway? I actually thought I knew what it meant until I visited various chats and online discussions, but now I'm a tad bit confused.:( I've always thought that being natural in its basic definition was being free of relaxers. Now, after being a part of different online conversations, I've found that the concept of what is natural can vary from person to person. I remember visiting a Facebook fan page that was not a natural hair page, and they posted the question "What does it mean to be natural?" Of course, I looked at several people's answers before posting my own and was shocked and amazed that some people actually believe that being natural included being free of weaves, wigs, and any type of extensions (such braids). I thought that was rather absurd considering the fact that your natural hair will still remain natural even while covered under weave, because it does not alter your natural hair pattern (I digress). I then proceeded to give my opinion which was along the lines of what I stated previously, and tried to educate people on the use of extensions as protective styles by natural women. I was then verbally chastised by one young woman and told that women who do that only do that because they don't want to do their hair. She also told me that she had been natural for quite a while and didn't use protective styles, that I didn't need to either, and that people should do their own hair in a nutshell. I did try to explain that everyone is different and that there is no right or wrong to this natural hair thing, but I wasn't going to argue. I just left the conversation with a "to each his own" type of comment, and kept it moving. Upon further analysis of this whole natural hair debate, I've realized one thing. For some people, natural hair is a state of being and not just a simple change in hair texture. In other words, unless you're rocking your own natural hair 24/7, in some people's eyes, YOU'RE NOT NATURAL.  I say, WHO CARES! Whether you rock your natural hair as an Afro or under a weave, we all belong to the same sisterhood of naturals and should embrace each other for our differences as well what we have in common. As I climb off my soapbox, I hope you all have a wonderful start to the week! Until next time Curly Nation!


  Live Free! Live Natural!

No comments:

Post a Comment