Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Natural Frustrations | I'm Not Trying to Be Erykah Badu JUST Because I am Natural!!

I was just called "Jill Scott" . I am sick and tired of all of these natural stereotypes. I went natural so that I could be myself 100%, not so that I could be stereotyped as something more or less than  me. Unlike most, I don't try to be anyone or anything.... I just AM. I am me.

Not Erykah Badu, not Lauryn Hill, Macy Gray, or Jill Scott either. It's crazy how people that wear all kind of crazy, unrealistic, weaves and wigs don't get called a different name  or stereotype as the hair changes {you know, like BECKY or HANNAH, better yet Lee Wang (although they AREN'T clearly themselves {ever}) but the moment we go natural, we're called the names of the faces that wear kinky curly hair, {although it grows out of all of our scalps in a highly textured form}. 

This is the way my hair grows. I hate how people see the one external change and it changes the entire way that I am perceived. Are we that shallow that a change in hairstyle changes how a person is seen? Yes, I do believe that my decision to go natural symbolically represents my mentality (like breaking away from the oh too familiar collective consciousness that too many engage in) but, nevertheless, I am still basically the same person, just a little more aware. Not Erykah Badu, Not little Miss Afrocentric or Miss save the planet. Just Nikki. 

          Dear World, 
 Please treat me the same as I was treated before going natural. 
Yours till death do us part, 
NaturalNikkiDST 


P.S. I'm still the same chica as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment